Alliance for the Arts
10091 McGregor Blvd. • Fort Myers, FL 33919
Phone: (239) 939-2787 • FAX: (239) 939-0794
The Alliance for the Arts is the officially designated Arts organization for Lee County charged with the mission to “facilitate and nurture the creation, development, promotion and education of arts and culture in Lee County”. You can download our 2015-16 Season Program HERE.
- From the Executive Director
- History and Organization
- Board of Directors
- The Alliance Team
- Economic Impact
Founded in 1975 by community leaders such as David Robinson and Barbara B. Mann, the Alliance for the Arts was created to foster the growth of local arts. The Alliance’s membership includes more than 50 arts and cultural organizations, it supports local organizations by providing meeting and classroom space in the 12,000 square foot William R. Frizzell Cultural Centre on a 10-acre campus opened in 1992.
Its features include:
- The 150 seat Claiborne and Ned Foulds Theater presenting more than 100 theatrical performances a year.
- Margaret Morrow Frizzell Amphitheater for musical and theatrical performances.
- Three art galleries displaying 16 exhibit openings and 325 exhibition days.
- Youth education programs servicing more than 2,400 children with Art Classes, Camps and exhibitions.
- Adult education art classes offering a full range of studio classes to more than 1,000 students annually.
- Offering rental space for area artists and businesses, as well as additional conference space and classrooms for local organizations in the Charles Edwards Building on the north end of the Alliance campus.
Achievements and Highlights
- Recently named by the Lee County Port Authority as the organization that will facilitate, and be primarily responsibile for, both permanent art and interim art exhibits in the new SWFL International Airport
- Established grant funding totaling $150,000 with the Arts and Attractions Fund in partnership with the City of Fort Myers, Lee County Tourist Development Council, Bireley Foundation, and the Southwest Florida Community Foundation
- Produces and distributes the Lee County Arts and Attractions brochure and map along with managing a centralized, web-based, calendar of events for all of Lee County
- Hosts the annual “Walk Thru the Arts” in the fall to promote area arts organizations
- Provides free exhibition space for the annual Lee Art Educator’s Association for high, mid and elementary schools student’s exhibits
- Provides free audition space for the annual Young Artists Awards
- Collects data and publishes an Arts and Cultural Directory annually which includes existing artists, arts and cultural organizations and regional/state resources for the community
- Partners with the Department of Juvenile Justice to provide arts programming for prevention strategies
- Works with Lee County School District to promote art for at-risk students and identify scholarship recipients
Building for the Future with Your Help
- Create outreach programs to bring the arts to business and special needs communities throughout Lee County.
- Promote the arts as an integral component of the quality of life in Lee County, to enhance recruitment of new businesses, employers and professionals to the area.
- Partner with the Lee County Port Authority to secure and oversee art exhibits in at Southwest Florida International Airport.
- Collaborate with the downtown redevelopment agency to infuse public art in the downtown River District.
- Much needed improved security system to draw more nationally known art exhibits
- Upgrade and expansion of the theater and amphitheater
- Grounds and Landscaping improvements